In thinking about the POSITIVE attributes of anonymity online - I can truthfully only think of a few:
- Combat shady marketers from gathering your name and other personal info without permission
- Minor "piece of mind" that a belief or thought today does not become a documented regret in the future.
- Promotes over-aggresive expression without consequences
- Promotes mis-representation (think old man in teen chat room)
- Birth of SPAM (Consider the recent post in Seth Godin's blog (a marketing guru who writes books, etc).