My Random Thoughts of Super Bowl 42
- If you would have told me at the start of ANY Sunday this football season (including yesterday) -- that the Giants were going to win the Super Bowl this year -- I would have told you that you were crazy!
- I feel like Giants fans are fairly shocked as well... It was a bit like I felt 2 years ago when the Heat won the NBA Title... It was completely unexpected - but that doesn't make it any less sweet ... just different.
- I don't blame the Patriots for the reasons I was rooting against them....(The whole 19-0, best team ever, blah-blah-blah, CONTINUOUS hype).... I blame the media - and mostly ESPN. And while I'm at it -- I'm from South Florida -- and I'm also sick of the 1972 Dolphins drama...It's a perfect example of the flaw within the typical "news story" structure.
- Speaking of the media -- I think I'm going to refuse to watch ESPN during the 2 weeks leading up to the Super Bowl next year. 2 weeks is WAY too much time for ESPN to continue to try and come up with new things to talk about...And worse of all -- I never ONCE heard anyone on ESPN predict that the Patriots would struggle against the Giants defense (and only score 14 points).
- The positive of the media cycle -- The Mercury Morris sound bytes this week are going to be pretty amazing...
- I loved the "Peyton Manning camera." He clearly wanted to interact with NO ONE during the game...Is he really married?
- I think I loved the camera shot of Jeremy Shockey more... Someone I was watching the game with asked "why isn't he on the field with the team" ... The first thing that came to my head, "Uh - they don't serve Red Bull and Vodka's on the field, honey"....
- Speaking of spectator comments ... Someone said "How much fun would it be if you were a student of the University of Phoenix right now?" ... Well ... although they have a Phoenix campus, the majority of students don't actually go to school in Phoenix. It's predominantly an online university... Yup - those stadium naming rights really pay off! ;)
- I'm sure I'll see it at least 100 times in my life -- but the "Eli avoiding the sack -- chucking it up to David Tyree and catching it off his helmet play" is one of the best (and most crucial) plays I've ever seen in a Super Bowl.
- I don't feel bad for any of the Patriots - with the exception of Junior Seau. He seems like such a happy dude -- and he's been a loyal, non-confrontational NFL player for so long -- that it would have been nice to see him win a Super Bowl ... if he was on the Giants...
- From the comments I heard after the game ... It felt like during the game Tom Brady crossed the line between competitive and cry baby. The look on his face throughout the game was WAY different than anything else I'd seen from him during the regular season...He's one of the best QBs of all-time...But I honestly think he choked yesterday.
- Something I haven't heard anyone talk about yet - was the fact that Belicheck opted to go for it on 4th and 11, rather than attempt a 49 yard field goal. And while the Pats ended up losing by 3 points -- I do agree that the media shouldn't be pilling on him. He had done stuff like that ALL year - and they were 18-0 going into the game. He was consistent.
- I'm a huge fan of Tiki Barber... some people don't - but I do... That said, today has to sting a little for him...
- The streets of NYC last night were pretty great. I high-fived about 3 random drunk topless dudes...
- The Commercials SUCKED this year... For the biggest stage of creative advertising - it truly disappointed this year... Hail to online advertising! ;)
- The scoring wasn't even close to as advertised... but it was still an UNBELIEVABLE game (not as good as the Titans ending the game on the 1 yard line - but definitely top 5 SB games I've ever seen)
- Congrats to all my Giant die-hard fan friends... Colediggy, Felch, Wolfe, The Mandell bros, The Satnick clan, Chuck, and anyone else I forgot... I'm happy for ya!!
Post a Comment